Important, the DNR has put together a survey for users. Take 5 minutes to fill this out! Please be sure to let them know that you’d like to have authorized trails on DNR lands in Whatcom County. Currently, there are ZERO designated trails on DNR-managed lands in Whatcom County!
You can read the Draft Trail Policy here below. This document is intended to help provide guidance to DNR staff with trails and recreation items.
You can learn more about the Trail Policy process here: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/TrailsPolicy
The types of items discussed in the trail policy are:
- Use of existing trail standards such as USFS, IMBA, etc. where applicable.
- Working better with trail user groups to build/maintain trail networks.
- Identifying pre-existing / non-designated trails and networks that have opportunities to be adopted by user groups.
- The extent of trail planning should vary by area and need. Not all trail planning need to be district-wide that often take years and are cost prohibitive.
- Desired Trail experiences for each user group is critical.
- Working more effectively with adjacent land owners/managers.
- Ways to resolve trail conflicts and issues.
Take 5 minutes to let the DNR know that trails in Whatcom County are important to you!