There was a great showing at the DNR meeting tonight and an even representation of both motorized and non-motorized user groups. The meeting started with a brief introduction explaining the purpose of DNR, the development of the trail policy, and the estimated timeline for the regional planning in Whatcom County. Following the intro was a long open session where people were encouraged to walk from station to station and answer a few questions to help with the planning process for Whatcom County. If you didn’t make it to the meeting, here are a few questions asked at each station that may help you write your email to the DNR. They’re also hoping establish a diverse trail planning committee so send them your resume and explanation as to why you’d be a good candidate if you’re interested.
Please e-mail BakertoBellingham@dnr.wa.gov if you have further questions regarding the planning committee or want to submit your thoughts and opinions regarding how you’d like to see official recreation established on our local DNR land. There will be more meetings in the future so stay tuned! http://www.dnr.wa.gov/BakertoBellingham
Station 1: RECREATING IN THE FOREST
- What do ou like about recreating in the Baker to Bellingham recreation area?
- What is your favorite place to visit?
- What is missing from your recreation experience?
Station 2: RECREATION TOPICS FOR CONSIDERATION
- Do you have any concerns about the future recreation management of the planning process?
- Are there areas of environmental concern?
- Are there concerns about impacts to private property?
Station 3: ACCESSING THE FOREST
- Where do you go to get onto DNR land?
- Do you access other public lands from DNR lands? If so, where?
Station 4: PARTNERSHIPS/OPPORTUNITIES
- What opportunities are there for partnerships with communities, other land agencies?
- What opportunities are there for landscape connections with other lands-county, state & federal?