Author Archives: barbarakarabin
The WMBC Joyriders are hosting a month-long food drive called Mountains of Food starting August 15 and ending September 14 to benefit the Bellingham Food Bank. You may drop off donations at any participating bike shops.
The participating shops are Alleycat Bike Shop, Bellingham Cycle Works, Earl’s Bike Shop, Fairhaven Bicycles, Fanatik Bike Co., The Hub Community Bike Shop, Jack’s Bicycle Center, The Kona Bike Shop, Kulshan Cycles, Lenny’s Bike Shop, Mister Lost’s Mobile Bike Shop and Transition Bikes. While we will accept all non-perishable food donations, we are looking for high protein items such as nut butters, hearty canned soups, canned tuna, protein bars, shelf stable milk and cereal. Help us collect Mountains of Food!
We’ll cutting the ribbon on Wednesday, August 9th to officially open Bellingham’s first pump track!
Come on down, join in on the fun and pump the track with Professional DH mountain biker Jill Kintner.
Fanatik Bike will be bringing demo bikes for you to try and firing up the grill!
Hope to see you there!
Time: 5:30 pm to 8pm
There will be a build day at the Civic Field Dirt Jump Park this Saturday. Come out to throw some dirt around (they have hose so it’ll stick!) We’ll work form 9am till noon and then I’ll be grilling burgers and handing out drinks. Afterwards, a photographer from the WMBC JoyRiders will be there to take jumping shots of everyone for their food drive. Bring the bike, bring the kids and let’s ride and dig! Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re aaaaaaaaaalmost done. Please join us on Sunday to help finish putting up the last bit of fencing, haul some dirt and spread out some beauty bark. Build day starts at 10 am and we might wrap up around 3 or 4-ish.
Hi there bikers, runners and hikers!
Spring has sprung and it’s starting to get really busy again on Galbraith again. As such, we’d like to update you on the parking situations for both sides of the mountain so we can continue to be courteous to our fellow neighbors.
SAMISH WAY PARKING
- Blind Spots! Yikes!- Reminder that the north side of Samish Way is officially a No Parking zone, so the neighbors can safely exit onto Samish Way and so riders have a shoulder to safely get to/from the parking lot. Also, parking your car too close to the edge of the Samish Parking Lot completely blocks the view for people trying to exit from the lot.
- Four Legged Friends– Keep them on a leash until you reach the gate or as you exit the mountain and, as always, pick up their poop
- Watch your speed and your voices. Keep your language PG.
- Bathrooms– Closest bathrooms are at Lake Padden
- Parking– Avoid parking along Galbraith Lane.
THE DOLLAR LOT
- No Drop Off/Pick Up Activity due to its size. This creates congestion and traffic.
- Parking Allowed for: paying users, Mr. Lost Bike Shop customers and March Northwest clinics.
- Toilet- for paying users, Mr. Lost Bike Shop customers and March Northwest Clinics.
- Dollar Lot Rules–
o Keep driveway clear
o Pick up after your dog
o Please control your kids and dogs. (Children should be attended)
o Pack it in/ pack it out
o No bicycle skidding
o Park in marked areas only
o Drive slowly
o Have fun, be safe
- Stay up to date on the latest developments in The Dollar Lot: https://www.facebook.com/TheDollarLot/
NORTHSIDE ACCESS/BIRCH ST
- Four Legged Friends– Keep them on a leash and pick up their poop
- Watch your speed and your voices. Keep your language PG.
- Bathrooms– Closest bathrooms are at Whatcom Falls Park
- Parking– ample parking at Whatcom Falls Park. Avoid parking on the narrow road at the end of Back Door (Birch Falls Way). There are large construction trucks that need to get through that street.
Everyone was buzzing with excitement at the Joyrider Season Kick Off event. There were lots of awesome women and and loads of stoke. Looking forward to some fun after work rides with this crew. Here’s the link to the ride schedule : https://wmbcmtb.org/joyriders/
On Saturday, April 22nd, the WMBC Joyriders will be hosting their kick off party and fundraiser! After party will be at Kulshan Brewery on James St.!
Meet at the intersection of Rd 1000 and Rd 1100 near Last Call starting at 9:30am. Rides start at 10am and go until 12:30. Please carpool- park at Padden, pedal in, or be early to snag a good parking spot. Post ride beers and raffle at Kulshan on James St. Kulshan will donate $1. per pint to WMBC!
Facebook Event Info: https://www.facebook.com/events/1256597657720624/
A few quick updates for you all.
Recreation NW Expo:
Swing by and say hi to us at the Recreation Northwest Expo Saturday at the Fairhaven Ferry Terminal. We’ll be there along with many other recreation groups from 1-6 PM and we’ll talking mountain biking and trails (of course). If anyone is interested in volunteering and helping me out a bit tomorrow, I’ll gladly reward you with some schwag and beer…..just shoot me an email!
Freehub Trail day:
Bill Hawk and Brandon Watts will be leading crews on Evolution and PT à Eagle Scout tomorrow. Meeting at the Samish Way lot at 9 AMif you’d like to help get those dialed for spring. If you’re planning to ride tomorrow, please avoid those trails….thanks! More details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/274133373007683/
I’ll be meeting with Janicki’s crew on Monday, but they are planning to begin logging West of the Pipeline Road in the Kaya, Bunny and Art’s area next Thursday. We’ll get in there early in the week to flag the heck out of the trails, so their machine operators can limit trail damage, but those trails will be closed until further notice beginning early in the week.
Also, there will be a LOT of truck traffic on the Pipeline Road while harvest activity is taking place. As such, we’ll ask folks to try to ride from the north side or begin your rides after mid-afternoon when their crews are off the hill. If you encounter logging trucks during a ride, we’d ask you to please pull over and let them pass through since we only have one entrance/exit on that side of the hill now.
Have a great weekend everyone.
Trail Director, Whatcom Mountain Bike Coalition