We offer a positive, supportive place for women of ALL levels and disciplines of mountain biking. All rides are NO DROP rides! We ride cross-country, all-mountain and downhill.
Our club launches this April with an exciting Bike2Brew event at Galbraith Mountain / Kulshan Brewery. Then we’ll be leading casual pace, no-drop group rides twice a month, all summer long. All skill levels are welcome. None of the pressure, all of the fun — we ride for the JOY of it!
New WMBC JoyRider Tees and Hats!
Big thanks to Michael Storm (Intrinsic Flow) and Becca Marguiles (Bex Dsgn) for their amazing volunteer help in making JoyRider schwag a reality! We are now taking pre-orders for shirts and hats at discounted price or $20 shirt and $10 hat. To get in on this…
In the News!
Whatcom Talk Article on the WMBC JoyRider (click to view full article)
Southside Living Magazine Article (click to view full article)
2016 Women’s Group Rides
For ride events and signup, join the Bellingham Women’s Mountain Biking Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/110005862399512/
Twice-monthly Galbraith Mountain Rides (1st/3rd Thu at 6pm)
This is ladies’ night, and the feelin’s right, oh this is ladies’ night, come ride your bike!
Guided, NO DROP rides at a casual pace, led by IMBA ICP-certified guides. All levels of rider welcome! As needed, we split into groups by activity level + trail preference. We ride:
- 1st Thurs of month, North Side (6pm at Whatcom Falls Parking lot – off Electric near Tennis Courts – Intermediate level and up)
- 3rd Thurs of month, South Side (6pm at Samish Way Lot, near Galbraith Lane – All levels, Beginner-friendly)
- Thu Apr 21 – South
- Thu May 5 – North / Thu May 19 – South
- Thu Jun 2 – North / Thu Jun 16 – South
- Thu Jul 7 – North / Thu Jul 21 – South
- Thu Aug 4 – North / Thu Aug 18 – South
- Thu Sep 1 – North – Thu Sep 15 – South
Club Launch Day & Bike2Brew a Major Success!
We said we’d launch our new Club with a Boom and a Wahoo, and we were NOT kidding. More than 80 women turned out for our morning ride this past Saturday (April 16), and we staged a female takeover of the Galbraith Mountain Bike Trail system. Jaws were dropping left and right, as 80 women (and 2 girls) filled the mountain with flying ponytails, and joyful woo hoos rang though the woods!
Then more than 100 folks gathered at Kulshan Brewery for an afterparty complete with freebies, a raffle, and lots of great beer. Big shoutout to the folks at Kulshan for donating $1/pint to the WMBC – we raised close to $250! And even bigger shoutout to all the planners and participants who made this happen — Bellingham will be buzzing about this day for quite a while!
WHO WE ARE:
The JoyRiders women’s mountain biking club is a joint undertaking by co-founders Tanya Storm and Zoae Spackman (two very busy moms!) Mountain biking brought them together, and continues to bring massive amounts of JOY to their lives.
They’ve teamed up with the WMBC to spread the JOY of biking to women across Bellingham… and beyond!
MISSION & PURPOSE:
- Offer a safe and supportive environment for female mountain bikers in our area
- Promote mountain biking to women, to encourage fitness and self-confidence
- Connect women with other compatible riders
- Help beginners break into the sport and be successful while having fun
- Encourage all rider levels to continuously improve their skills and fitness
- Protect our trails and environment
HOW WE DO IT:
- Lead twice-monthly rides April-Sept, on a predictable schedule
- Provide a Facebook Hub for ride signup and making rider connections (Join Here)
- Participate in volunteer trail maintenance and community bicycling advocacy
- Run an Instagram account to feature and promote female riders, trails, and the Bellingham bike scene. Tag #mtbjoy or @wmbc_joyriders for a feature!